Control Freaks and Selfish Motives
I think most Christians really do want to enjoy all that God desires for them. We know He knows best. So, what is it that keeps us from enjoying the blessings of God. Why can’t we enter our own Promise Land?
Let’s look at it like this. There is a wall with a gate between me and the best God has for me. The gate opens when I am obedient and I enter into His best. Why does the gate not open?
- In order to walk through the gate I have to give up control (like I ever had it). I cannot control my Promise Land. It is God’s to control. When I try to control that which is God’s I quickly find myself outside God’s will. Control freaks have a tough time staying in the place God has prepared for them.
- I must remember obedience is motivated by a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and not His gifts. I come to Him not because of what He has but because of who He is and His great unconditional love for me.
- Obedience that seeks to manipulate God is not obedience at all. Manipulative obedience does not open the gate to God’s best.
- Obedience born from legalism is not what God seeks. The Pharisees tried that and failed.
What opens the gate so we can enter into our Promise Land, God’s Will and our best.
- A surrendered love relationship with God. (Mark 12:30)
- A consistant love for others. (Mark 12:31)
- Seek first His Kingdom. (Matt 6:33)
What does that look like in application?
Obey In The Moment – Just do what a love relationship requires at each moment in time.